Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What a Boring Day!

The plains of Wyoming are hypnotizing and incredibly boring. The day was overcast and the thermometer indicated 66F. The winds were calm and I am glad for that. In Wyoming, they close entire highways for high winds. I was told mainly in the winter but with this foul weather you never know.
I decided to visit Mount Rushmore in South Dakota and half way down the road I was about to change my mind. The plains are endless and the monotony of the yellow grass was outing me to sleep.
I was tired from last night. I went to bed at 1:00 AM from doing my laundry and washing my riding gear. My riding jacket and pants were filthy with bugs I picked in California and Oregon.

At 9:34 AM, I left Casper, WY and took 25 E towards Keystone, SD. An hour and a half in the road a little rain caught me. I stopped under a bridge to put on my rain gear but the rain didn't last long. I stopped in Manville, WY for gas. It was 11:26 AM. Three hours into the ride, I started to see pine trees and rolling hills. Now things started to change and I was getting into the Black Hills. At 1:42 PM I was in Custer, SD 22 miles away from Mount Rushmore.

As I climbed Mount Rushmore, the weather started to get ugly and shortly after I got in the park it started to rain. So for $11 dollars, I got to see the sculptures which look rather small and take a few pics.

The Black Hills are amazing. It was the highlight of the day. The only bad thing is that big dark clouds started to gather on top of Rushmore and the temperature dropped to 55F. I was cold but I knew it was because I was hungry so in Custer I picked up one of my new to my diet,Corn Dog and Chocolate Milk. I didn't know corn dogs were so geewd!

Tomorrow, I am heading for Sioux Falls, SD and I am ready to go home. I am in my going home mood. I think I was in that mood since early in the day.
Today is the first day when I really feel I want to go home. I am already 20 days on the road and this packing and unpacking thing is getting old.

TOMORROW MORE FLAT LAND!!!

Yeah, It's the South Dakota welcome sign







Today's exact route to Mt. Rushmore.


View Larger Map

My general location in the country


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment