Friday, May 20, 2011

In Alturas California


View Larger Map

Today I  completed Highway 1. I  rode from Little River, CA to Alturas, CA for a total of 450 miles.
The trip was phenomenal. Highway 1 took me through dense Red Wood forest and along beautiful coast. The road was narrow with steep turns and sharp curves. Maximum speed posted was 20 and 15, impossible to go fast for the next 100 miles. I was not even able to take pictures one because the forest was dense and second because I had to concentrate on the ride. It was not until I got to Eureka that the terrain changed to wide long curves. I was averaging 60 miles and hour and it was really fun. Not a moment of boredom.
In  Leggett, Ca I stopped by to drive through a 2,400 years old Red Wood tree
for the modest fee of $3 dollars.
Leggett was the end of Highway 1. To continue my travel North to Eureka I took 101 North.

The temperature when I left the hotel was 50 F. All along the coast the air was chilly and humid and as I got further North, it got colder and colder. By the time I got to Eureka, the temperature felt in the 40's. I stopped in Eureka for lunch. In Eureka I moved Eastward on RT 299 E. As I moved away from the coast and headed East, the air warmed up to a balmy 75 degree. It was a relief!
My ride along 299 had many ups and downs in elevation. One time I would go as  high as 6000 then to 2000 feet. Lots of drastic changes in temperatures well.
I climbed some snowed cover mountains and as I left them behind I moved across an immense valley where the bugs where the order of the day.
I couldn't stop thinking that with each mile I ride I am getting closer to my house.
Still have that feeling of accomplishment even when I have half the trip to complete


The view of the lodge I stayed on in Little River


The view from a stretch on Highway 1

That ocean mist stuck to my helmet shield

There is a lot of construction on the highway but nothing big

Once you leave the coast you get into the forest. Great fun and very challenging road




This Red Wood tree has 2400 years.



I had to pay $3 bucks to do this. $5 for cars


This is on RT 101 North beautiful road


I was pumping gas in Weaverville and this is the view from the town. Soon I would be passing by other snow covered peaks.


First wave of a bug storm while riding through miles and miles of rice paddies

Second wave.

My pants!
This was today's route to Alturas,CA


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment