Sunday, May 8, 2011

In Oxford Mississippi

Today it was a very productive day, I managed to travel from Chattanooga, Tn to Oxford, Ms. I was satisfied with the route today. It was very rural and very little traffic. I crossed the entire state of Alabama and made a quick stop in Tupelo, Ms to see the house where Elvis was born.

I left Chattanooga today at 9:00 Am. The temperature was cool at 51 degrees and sunny. Another perfect day for riding. As I get into Alabama proper, I noticed the terrain started to change. It is flat as hell! At least I was going down some beautiful parts of the state. Lots of pine trees and very good roads. I was still in withdrawal after those two amazing days back in the Blue Mountain Ridge and Skyline Drive. Not one single tight curve to enjoy in this parts of the country :(

In Hunstville, I stopped at the space museum where I saw a replica of the Saturn V rocket and the predecessor of the SR-71 black bird. Cool place.

I saw different parts of the state that had been ravaged by tornadoes. I passed by one town where there was nothing left and the damage was probably a mile wide. I was told that town was hit by an F5 category tornado. You have to see to believe the damage that thing can do.

I continued my journey through some deep Alabama country. One girl actually asked me what was that I had in my hands. No, not that but my GPS. She was the waitress at a Mexican restaurant and neither she nor the lady cooking in back  knew what carne enchilada was. In the end, she brought 4 tacos that were supposed to be different but they were all the same one with salsa and one without.

I made it to Oxford, Ms, the home of olemiss, and what a beautiful town this is. The smell of pine permeates the air and the honeys.... ooh the honeys!!!

Tomorrow, I will see were the wind takes me and I will blog about it, briefly.



 This is the kind of flat land I am talking about. I better get used to it.



 Yes, the wind took the bark off the tree. There was a house in front of it.


 What was left of the house. I think that used to be the porch.


So far this is my journey.





View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. Alfredo:
    Those pics of the tornado damage are just incredible. What a shame that those people (or any for that matter) must endure such tragedy. Your new route might be flat, but it's still beautiful. Ever notice how states and their roads outside of our area are so clean and in such good repair and or working order?
    We pay the highest taxes and our roads and what not are in such DISREPAIR. Continue being safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yarvis, the pictures are nothing compared with the real life. It is a weird thing. One house is totally destroyed and the next one suffers just minor damage.
    The roads are a mixed bag. It depends which one you use. Alabama in general have good roads but I can't say the same about Arkansas. I believe it is because the traffic is mainly heavy trucks and machinery from the agro business here.

    ReplyDelete