Monday, May 23, 2011

A day in Yellowstone and Grand Teton

This is my general location in the USA. The smaller map is the exact route I took during the day.


View Larger Map
Exact route West Yellowstone,MT - Casper,WY


View Larger Map


Sunday May 22, I left the hotel at West Yellowstone knowing that it was going to be a little colder than before but I was not expecting to the day to be so cold and with so much snow. Not on the road but on the ground.
I liked Grand Teton much more that Yellowstone. Teton is more dramatic and with better views
I went straight into the park at 8:48 AM. $20 clams to get in for motorcycles $25 for cars and the ticket last for a week and Grand Teton is covered too.
I finished both parks at 2:00 PM, made a gas stop in Moran, WY and continued to Casper, WY.  following RT 26 to Shoshoni and the 20 E to Casper.
When I exited the park I started climbing the Rocky through a mountain pass that put me at 9,600 feet of altitude. It was incredible the amount of snow on the ground.
Going down the mountain I got hit with my first speeding ticket in the town of Debois. The Sheriff was easy on me. $100 dollars ticket for doing 40 on 35 in town and not for doing 73 in 60 outside town. I was expecting some points too but nothing.
The scenery changed from woods to grass and plains. The kind of flat plains I don't like.
I am now in Casper, WY hoping to make it to Mount Rushmore tomorrow. I will try to change my oil as well I already put 3788 miles since the last change of oil in Oklahoma City

Yellowstone plains

I thought this was going to be all the snow I was going to see. But what a surprise when I got to into the Teton


Thermal pool in Yellowstone.

Right thumb on lake Yellowstone. It was still frozen for the most part.

The Tetons in background

Look at that wall of snow. It was taller than me and probably 7.5 feet easy.




There was like 8 feet of snow here. I was at 8.800 feet altitude. The highest was at 9,600 feet

This was weird, on one side of the street you see this desert like view. On the other side it was normal grass and trees.

On my way to Casper,WY. I then again enter the plains
Yellowstone Park

The Grand Teton



Waiting for my ticket to be written in Dubois, WY

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a rough road at one point, was the road clear enough for a bike?

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HlbNTpLp6VU/TdprJ18XB9I/AAAAAAAAAoI/ymGrR66cFi8/s640/IMG_0886.JPG

    ReplyDelete