Monday, May 9, 2011

Mini Iron Butt to Oklahoma

Today, I woke up rested. Yesterday, I passed the Central Standard Time line in Alabama and I gained one more hour to rest. At 8:46 AM, I finished filling my tank with gas and headed to Talihina, Ok.

This time I took the best route from Google Maps. I was not happy with the route offered by my GPS. The first 1 hour1/2 on route 315 was beautiful. I passed on top of Sardis Dam and through farm land. The temperature was cool (63 F) with lots of pine trees left and right but the joy didn't last long. As I started to get closer to Arkansas, the road took me through huge farm land some of it partly flooded by the Mississippi river or a tributary of it.

I went from this:

 To this:

For the next 2 1/2 hours this was all I could see going down route 49 W and 79 S.
The temperature was about 85 F and the air was fetid with the smell of dead animals and the stagnant water from the floods.
I entered Arkansas for more of the same. Took a few pictures of the mighty Mississippi and continued West hoping for the scenery to change.

I made a quick stop to try some of the local BBQ and this time I was not disappointed. All you can eat buffet for $10 clams. You can't beat that. Oh.. and the service was first class all the way.



It was not until I got to Pine Bluff, AR and took 270 W that the pine trees returned and the air cooled off considerably. I felt better and my moral increased.
I passed Sheridan-Malvern and Hot Springs (the boyhood town of Bill Clinton)
But nothing could have prepared me for the big surprise of the day: Ouachita National Forest.


 The next 4 hours going down 270 W were pure pleasure and it got even better when I arrived at Mena, AK. the gateway for Talimena Scenic Drive (route 88 then 1).  I thought I was not going to experience anything like in Virginia's Skyline drive but I was pleasantly disappointed. This Talimena is a combination of the tail of the Dragon and the Skyline drive.
A furious climb to 3,500 feet along 12 miles of tight turns take you from this:


 To this:

I travel 52 miles of beautiful mountain ridge with the most amazing overlooks. It was a shame that it was getting dark but I managed to take some quick pictures while thinking that I had not a lot of time to make it to the bottom.
Here is one panorama from the Queen Wilhelminia peak.


On the picture above you can see the road coming all along the ridge of the mountain. I will make another post about this particular 52 mile ride with some details.

At 7:00 PM, I arrived in Talihina at the Kiamichi Inn safe and sound having completed one of the longest rides of the week 404 miles. Not the best hotel in the world, but for $50 bucks it beats freggin' camping.

The map is starting to take shape. Tomorrow, I will stay here for the day. I am going to rest and try to take care of my noble steed oil change, check tires ...you know.. the works.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment