Monday, May 2, 2011

And on May 3 2011, I left the house.

As the cold front creeps into the East, rain and thunderstorms seems to be the forecast for the next 48 hours. Not to worry, I got my Frogg Toggs. I am sure it will keep my body somewhat dry but what about my spirit? It's a bitch to ride in the rain but there is no turning back now. It's a once in a life time opportunity to head West in a motorcycle and I am gonna take it.

Yes, I am a little worried. I did not complete the installation of my GPS. I did not tune up my bike (huge vote of confidence in German engineering)and I don't know how my mind and body will react to long hours on the saddle with no music.

For the record, I bought my bike at the end of 2006. I did not do any maintenance on the bike as the previous owner sold it to me in top shape with barely 1,200 miles on it. On October 8 2007, I replaced and balanced both tires, change the filter and oil. After that date and until now, I have only changed the oil maybe 3 times the last one done sometime last year (I think). Last year, I also changed for the first time the brakes and clutch fluids . The fluid quality was not bad. It just looked as in need of a change. My chromeheads buddies will think this is sacrilege but I will say it is pretty impressive for 10 years without a fluid change.
So down the drain goes all those discussions in the forum about fluid viscosity and hygroscopic properties.

So far this is the planned route, It will change daily but for the time being this is the idea.


View Larger Map


I think this occasion deserves a blog, a blog that I am planning to update daily while I am on the road. Will you follow me?

11 comments:

  1. Im just wondering if you're keeping information about the weather. Take care!!and good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need to stop by the time you get to Central VA . . . I'm a few miles east of Charlottesville. Ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alfredo:
    All the best and a safe and happy trip. I for one will be following your adventures and expolits very closely! I hope to do the same trip in roughly 120 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics of the Drive and BRP. If I hadn't had to work yesterday I would have ridden to Roanoke with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joe, by the time I passed by your neck of the woods I was pretty high in the mountains. I think I will come back to the Ridge sometime next year. I will give you a call. Try to stop by the Rambling Pig in New Hampshire this August. We can talk about it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alfredo. La verdad que estan espectaculares esta fotos. Este viaje te va a dar un very clear pictures de los Estados Unidos y su gente. Que lo disfrutes. Ten cuidado con las inundaciones que hay por Mississippi.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alfredo:
    I love the new pics. If you are looking for some bar be que, do a search for that "Man V Food" guy. (On the Travel Channel) He has done some of those food challenges down south and visited plenty of BBQ joints. Still following your "exploits" with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ovallin; you better make it down to New Orleans . A must see "unique" city
    the real Republic of Louisiana. common roots with Hispaniola ; and also good friends that will show you a great time.
    Pics are amazing. Points in the forgotten south: bayou la batre in Alabama( shrimp really taste like lobster), Ole Miss, New Orleans, plantation road by the Mississippi, Lafayette.
    have to run over the " old Spanish trail"( route from Mexico city to St petesburg Fl, used by the conquistadores in the 1500's)
    Be safe.
    Jose Luis VP
    jveras.pola@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jose, too late! As you can see I am far away from your hood. I still have a long way to go but I will hold on to your offer for some other time. I didn't want to go so far down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alfredo, te estoy siguiendo y disfrutando mucho tus comentarios y fotos. No te sientas solo on the road, habemos muchos pendientes de ti.

    Te tengo envidia de la buena.

    Abrazos,

    Rafa Castillos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lento suerte hermano y como dicen en el barrio... "vaya por la sombrita" I will be following you and hope you could bring us lots stories from this trip... Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete